Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Tim Woolley's Updates 29 8/1 Another Comfy Night For Barbaro, etc.

Barbaro Updates: 29
Update 353: This site was featured in an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today: To check up on Barbaro, check out his blog. I wanted to thank Mike Jensen for the great story, and Michael Bryant for the cool pictures (they are in the real paper, page 5 of the sports section). The paper actually has a more complete story than the online version. I see the online version is also available via mercurynews etc. I really appreciate the coverage! As I am sure people are aware, this site would not be possible without the support of many, I am going to name some, but no doubt will forget others who are important: Michael Matz, Peter Brette, Kathy Anderson, Tim Woolley, Eliza, Jen, Annie etc. Mike and Michael, thanks for coming down to Fair Hill.

Update 352: Another comfortable night last night for Barbaro (monday night). Michael Matz gave me the update as I was heading out to the track on my third set this morning. It was good to see Michael back at Fair Hill.
Kathy Anderson visited Bobby yesterday evening and also reported that he was doing well. He was in good spirits and looking for a good rub which he of course received, in the form of a massage from Kathy!
updated Tuesday morning 7:35 am


Update 351: As we wait for an update this morning we have an article and a new poem. The DailyLocal.com: Vet: Barbaro's smarts aiding his recovery, is a nice article on the intelligence of Barbaro, and how he has adapted to his current situation, it quotes both Peter Brette and Kathy Anderson. The following is an excerpt:

"Barbaro is not aggressive, but he is very confident," Anderson said.

"He has always been in charge of his space, and he continues to assert that at the hospital. He's become known as a sneak biter. When people turn their back on him, he tries to bite them. They turn around and he's like, 'Who did that, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth.' I think that's pretty clever."

Anderson added: "He's adapted to the sling. I like to think he understands that if I shift my weight this way, I feel better. I'd say that's not typical of racehorses. They're so competitive, they just react, rather than having a planned action."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would imagine that if he is in good spirits he is very bored and that gives him something to do? maybe they should hang something from the roof for him to play with?

Anonymous said...

Bored.. well maybe.. I am sure they are playing with him as much as is needed and wanted! We all sent Barbaro and his staff some goodies to enjoy and some special spearmints for the boy!! Thanks for your comment!
Jo