Monday, November 20, 2006

Tim Woolley Updates 136,& Baltimore Sun Article Celebrating 6 Mos of Recovery For Barbaro


photo by: Sabina Pierce

Update 1065: A wonderful article from the Baltimore Sun celebrating Barbaro's six months of recovery: Still legging out life as long shot. It includes the following excerpts:

When the demands that come with owning Barbaro become too much, Gretchen Jackson simply goes to see her horse.

"I go there and just sit down in the bedding in his stall and talk to him," she said last week. "He's a very gentle stallion. He allows me to be able to do that, and I find it very relaxing. I look at those legs and think about what they were able to do, to think how they carried him to victory in the Kentucky Derby."

and

"He bit me accidentally one day. I know it was an accident. He was as surprised by it as I was. He tried to put his head on my chest to say he's sorry."

McCafferty paused and smiled a little sheepishly.

"People say, 'What is she talking about?' But it was in his eyes. It was, 'Oh my gosh, I didn't mean it.' ... He's just a cool horse with a unique personality."

and

As for today, on the six-month anniversary of Barbaro's arrival at New Bolton, Jackson said nothing special is planned.

"It's the same as any other day," she said. "We're all just going to keep plugging along."

...but of course Edgar surprised everyone with a visit!

Update 1064: Mrs. Jackson just called to thank everyone for your continued efforts to move the anti-slaughter bill forward.

I did ask her about Edgar's visit. She mentioned that when she was with Edgar visiting Barbaro Barbaro was lying down, feet forward eating the grass Mrs. Jackson brought along. Edgar was able to sit down next to Barbaro and talk to him. In Mrs. Jackson's words ... he loves the horse, its a true relationship!

Update 1063: Its six months since the Preakness, six months of recovery, and Barbaro had a special visitor this morning ... Edgar Prado. I believe this was Edgar's fourth visit, and Edgar actually provided me with this morning's update. Edgar noted Barbaro had put on a little weight (since his last visit), had a bright eye, and was actually trying to bite him a little! Edgar then waited around to meet with Mrs. Jackson, who visited Barbaro with cut grass etc. Barbaro was more tranquil during that visit (according to Edgar). I actually drove over to New Bolton to meet Edgar. He was with his wife Lillian and son Luis. He was very relaxed and happy to see Barbaro.

Update 1062: The early update is again from Michael's visit last night (sunday 6 pm visit). Michael was again positive in his assessment of Barbaro when he visited. I saw Michael as I was finishing up my first set and coming off the track.

No comments: