Saturday, November 18, 2006

In Memory Of Avenger's Major Purchase ( Major)- For Rosi- Her Thoughts.


Major at seven years

In 1977 we got Avenger's Major Purchase( Major) as a housewarming gift from my folks, as a three month old puppy. I still miss the old "coot". He was, to date, the best dog that has ever lived with us.

Major was an exceptional sheltie, NOT a yappy doggie and VERY thoughtful.  When his hearing started to go, to keep tabs on me, he'd post himself in my doorway so I had to step over him to go anywhere outside of my room.
 
I used to laugh at Major because I always thought he was a whimp, until my brother entered our house without either Dad or myself with him.  Maj was outside in the patio when Hank (My brother, who he'd NEVER met.) entered the house,  Maj, having seen me run through the glass once, KNEW it would give way, so snarling, barking and hitting the glass, Maj didn't look like the whimp I'd always made jokes about.  When he saw me, his attitude immediately changed to happy "Hi ya Mom!".  But I NEVER made whimp jokes about him again.
 
I remember best, his LAST visit to the barn.  He'd been raised with Sandi, my then  22 yr old QH but had been frightened by a friend's horses when I'd sent him over there to do his job (Sire puppies).  After that he wanted NOTHING to do with horses for about 8 years.  Then with this LAST visit, he went over to Sandi's stall and pawed at the stall door, wanting in.  I opened the door, he walked into the heavily bedded stall and over to Sandi.  They sniffed noses (Sandi had a habit until Major came to live with us of getting his nose bit by dogs he'd try to sniff.).  Maj just walked around Sandi, as if to say "I know you didn't scare me way back then, BUT you're BIG!  I just wanted to come say goodbye my BIG friend."  then asked to come out of the stall.  Two months later, Maj was gone, nearly 15 years old. He went to the Rainbow Bridge in April, 1992, due to a stroke.

He will always live in my heart.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its good to know you had a long life with Major. He will be missed I know and he will always be in your heart and mind. He is very happy at the bridge and healthy. God makes sure all of his critters are renewed there. He is waiting for the day that he meets up with you again. He looks very wise and loving. Peace be with you forever. Christina.