Sunday, October 29, 2006

Where Are Horses In The "Pet Chain" and Do You Feel "charmed" in their presence?



The other day, while surfing the "web", I ran across an article that talked about the "Pet Chain". I thought it was an interesting context for the word.

So where are we as horse lovers in particular, in that "Pet Chain". I do believe that we are "charmed" with the gift of loving all animals. My life felt totally charmed to me owning some wonderful horses through the years. With the sun on my back, warming me on those chilly autumn days, while I galloped , whether in reality or in my mind's eye when I was not physically with my mare, the awesome gift of that love certainly gave my life so much joy and pleasure.

For many people, horses are considered "pets" in some way. While horses are a means of transportation, working the fields in some areas, pulling carts in New York City for the pleasure of tourists, competing in races and jumping competition, I firmly believe that many of their owners feel a special kind of love for them.

One only needs to hang out in a busy office at a boarding or teaching stable and hearing the stories of what "their horse" did, funny anecdotes and descriptive comments are heartwarming to say the least. One only needs to talk to a young person who has a relationship with a horse for a few minutes and it is plain to see that he or she adores this horse, plying them eagerly with treats, and finding ways to spend quality time with them. Giving their horse a bath with the subsequent walk to graze is heaven to a horse owner. The bonding process is a deep one. I feel that horses relate to humans and many of them actually demonstrate devotion to their human companions.

While it is impossible to bring a horse into one's home and snuggle with it while watching Television, or taking them to bed with us, nonetheless our feelings can be very strong. Some people do not consider horses their pets, and there is some controversy about this. Two of the three horses that I was lucky enough to share my life with, were looked on by me as part of my "fur" family.

What constitutes a pet? 
Merriam-Webster defines the word pet:

1 a
: a pampered and usually spoiled child b : a person who is treated with unusual kindness or consideration : DARLING
2 : a domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility

Can't a domesticated animal that is kept for "utility" also be kept for pleasure?

What are our responsibilities to companion animals?

How do we protect them?

I found a really compelling video on my search on the Internet today. I love what the video creator talks about in calling these horses "charmed." Yes, indeed they are charmed. These horses are obviously loved and cared for with much respect and feeling. You can tell that the video creator has a very special place in her heart for horses. She feels "charmed" also. The link to her video is at the conclusion of this post. Please allow it time to load. It is well worth the wait.

This being said, What can we do as a species to insure that all our companion animals (and all animals for that matter) are treated with respect and grace?

However, I digressed from the topic of this entry!

What are your feelings about horses as pets? Do you think that it is realistic to put them into that category? Is there a more realistic way of describing them? If you own a horse, do you consider them a pet or a companion animal? I am very interested in hearing from folks on this issue. Thank you for your input!

Posted with permission from Cowboys-n-Cowgirls.com
A CHARMED LIFE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this slideshow is a MUST SEE! The music is beautiful as are the pictures!!!
This article was VERY well written and gives one pause for reflection.



Thanks for posting this :)

Anonymous said...

I decided to stop at this entry and comment, for at one time in my life I would have said that horses saved my sanity. My grandfather was a cattle rancher who had at least 40 horses, just as the horse age was coming to an end. (I am 75) My dad had number of horses, too, although he went to tractors and farm machinery, but horses were still necessary for riding the range.  The pickup truck with 4 wheel drive cut back on the number required to run a cattle ranch. I made it a point to get acquainted with as many of their horses as I could. The trained cow horse in our country was a miraculous animal.  Come to my journal and read an entry called "Boo Boo in Big Holler," about riding my dad's best trained cow horse on a cattle drive when disaster struck due to inexperienced cow girl.  You will get a kick of it.  Have you read Ranch of Dreams by Cleveland Armory, a wonderful wonderful book about the rescue of many animals, including the burros in Grand Canyon.  I gave everyone a book I found about the psychic gifts of animals one Xmas.  I gave everyone Seabiscuit another time.  I am glad I found your journal I will be back to read more horse stories, and I will write more just for you!   Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/