Thursday, October 26, 2006

On The Loss Of Grandma- For Stephanie of Miracle Horse Rescue

Miracle Horse Rescue was established in 2001. Stephanie, who owns this safe haven, pours so much love and care for the horses that she has rescued. I was touched deeply by the special feelings that she had for Grandma and the sad moment when she went to her final resting place at the Rainbow Bridge.

A very old lady, Grandma came to live with Stephanie five months ago. It was sad that she did not find her sooner. Grandma came from deplorable conditions and  still was lviing with her 20 year old "baby" in the same pen. The "baby" was getting the majority of their feed, resulting in Grandma being very, very thin and in in great  need of tender loving care.

But upon being in Stephanie's care, Grandma slowly began to put on some weight. However, sadly, due to her long term neglect prior to coming to Miracle Horse Rescue, the odds were stacked against Grandma. Stephanie gave this old gal the best of care, but in spite of all of her efforts, Grandma's vet knew that her internal organs were damaged severely and for her to "come back" would be so very hard.

Grandma did spend five months with the best of loving care with heroic efforts to save her life. At least she knew the touch of a tender hand and the sweet words spoken to her with respect and concern.

Stephanie wrote about her experience with Grandma and I would like to share it with my readers. She pours out her love and tenderness in her writing. I just felt that it was fitting to memorialize Grandma so that she can live in our hearts too as she romps and plays in those heavenly pastures now.

Written on September 20,2006

"We had to let Grandma cross over the Rainbow Bridge this morning. Despite our efforts, this was recommended by our Veterinarian. He stated she was an old gal and he believed she was in kidney failure, her blood pressure was low and she was very lethargic.

As we walked her out of her stall, the only horse she gave a small wuffle to was Half Moon who has been with us for five years. He began whinnying and bucking in his pen. He does not do well with changes. In my heart I know that these beautiful creatures understand and communicate with one another.

I truly believe she was saying goodbye to him. She went very peacefully and she did not go alone as Rob and I were with her the whole time. I would not wish this part of what we have to go through onanyone.


She is now in greener pastures never to feel pain ever again.

Losing a horse is so draining, especially when you spend hours and hours with them seven days a week, whether its cleaning their stalls and having them jack with you while you are doing it, nudging you, pulling on rake etc., each one has their own unique personality. .

Anyway to get to my point, I was out in the front turn-out cleaning a 100 gallon tank, and refilling with fresh water and leaning against the fence when each one of the horses with the exception of two, came over and nuzzled my cheek as if to say, "it's going to be alright". It was such a peaceful experience. They truly sense when you are down.

The clowns of the group began to play, and Whiskey who is a very large horse (broke his short pasturn bone 4 years ago and was brought to us from Elko, NV  by his former owner to get him into a warmer climate) dunked his head in the water tank and shook it on me and spun around wreaking havoc with the rest of the clowns making me smile. Despite all the darkness, these horses let a huge ray of light in."

A Horse's Prayer-The Rainbow Bridge

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Grandma. I am writing this through tears after reading about her. I know all too well the heartache of losing a horse, both young ones, and old ones. It just tears your heart out. I lost a six month old filly when she jumped the fence and broke her neck. That was eight years ago now, and there are still days that I grieve for her. I think that in my lifetime, that was the day I cried the hardest. It was gut wrenching. My thoughts are with you, I know how painful this is.  Vicki Jasch

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! you gave Grandma the best 5 months of her life!! what a gift you gave to her.  and how so hard it was on you, my heart goes out to you. i hurt for you and there are just no words to say thank you for trying and giving to the horses and giving them their trust and love back to them. Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

I have no experience with horses but have always as long as I could remember wanted to have one to love. I love all creatures of God and I feel your pain and I am so very sorry for you that you lost a friend. You tried so hard to keep her with you but I guess it was her time but at least in the close end she finally got the love she deserved and needed from you. I know you will keep doing the wonderful work to give these beautiful creatures love and comfort, that is why God gave you this gift. Take care and know Grandma is always with you and is now smiling down on you with no pain just happy pastures to run free in. Christina Lucero