Wednesday, March 15, 2006

In Memory Of Clyde- For JoAnn

At age 17 yrs. 9 mo., Clyde died peacefully with me petting him while he laid in
his favorite chair. The vet, Rainbow Bridge, offers a special service of coming
to people's home and euthanizing their pets when they are ready.   He was in a
lot of pain the last 2 days.   He wasn't eating.   He couldn't get into the litter
box comfortably anymore and was urinating bloody urine on my dining room
floor.   The last morning, I could tell he was ready to die... he was telling me he
was dying.  

I'm sure he would have died on his own that day or the very next.  
He was saying good-bye to me.   I just couldn't bare to watch his decline or see
him in pain anymore.  The vet told me that it was most likely bladder cancer.  

We suspected it 4 months earlier and decided not to do anything heroic at his age
and to treat it holistically.  At nearly 18 years, anything heroic might have killed
him anyway.  
 
I feel relieved that he is out of pain, relieved that I no longer have to worry
about him, for I served him well.   I did so much in the last few years to give him the best quality of life.  

I miss him tremendously, but I know his spirit is still here.We had such a strong
bond of unconditional love for each other. He didn't want to let me out of his sight. 

He followed my every move, and if I was absent too long from his sight he came to look for me. 

Letting go of Clyde was HUGE!  Everything else pales in comparison and will not
be hard for me to give up. I look forward to meeting him again at the Rainbow Bridge.
 

  JoAnn

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello and I feel your pain and loss of your fur baby. I know that it hurts so very much to see them in pain for I too have been in your shoes a few times and will again. I tell myself I will never love another but they just seem to come into my life, what to do? He is not longer suffering at the bridge. He was gorgeous, Clyde and very loyal to you. I hope I have the strength as you did to have them put out of mysery. Go in peace Clyde and take care of yourself JoAnn.

Anonymous said...

Their is always a special place for those who leave us...
Their will always be a found place...for those who come to come join us!!

Anonymous said...

Our beloved Negrita passed over the Rainbow Bridge Wed. march 22, 2006 at 5pm. My heart is broken in a thousand pieces and I only had her for over 6 months. I can't even imagine what it would be like if like you it had been 17 + years. All I do is think of her and see her everywhere. She was only with me for 6 months and 11 days but she was the joy of me and my wife's life. Here I sit typing and the tears are running down my cheeks. I still can't comprehend her death. She had a broken hip bone since march 4,  and the Vet. kept saying that she was going to be OK.  We kept her confined and confortable, and well fed. . But she was getting weak, could not walk even to her litter box which I put next to her sleeping box. She would pee and pup on herself and we would gently clean her and wash her. We kept going to the Vet but she kept telling us that was going to be ok. Monday she got a bad case of diarrhea that kept getting worse. The Vet gave her I.V. fluids and antibiotics but Wed. March 22, 2006 at 5pm she had a seizure and passed over. This last 2 days I have been unable to function well, I stayed home from work and cry my heart out. Cleaning and putting away all her things was excruciating. She also had a favorite blanket and favorite spots & toy that will always smell of her, specially between my and my wife's pillows like a guardian angel which I know she is now. Blessing to you and we share your pain and sorrow. We will pray for strenght. Marcos & Lydia Mendez

Anonymous said...

negritasdad,

I can't begin to express the compassion and the sadness that I feel when reading your comment. I don't think that it matters one bit how much time we are permitted to share the lives of our incredible companions. Whether 6 months, 6 years, or 17 years, they touch our hearts so deeply.  

The comforting thoughts that I hold as I read and post these moving tributes to our angel fur kids, is to know that they are happy, healthy, and out of pain. They are at the Rainbow Bridge where we shall all meet again. It is so clear that Negrita touched you so deeply.

Sending prayers of healing to you and your wife. I know how much Negrita is missed, but her spirit will live eternally in your hearts. She came to you for a reason.. and then it was time to leave.

Radiant love..
Jo