Saturday, March 25, 2006

"Just A Cat" - Equal time For Our Felines! Thanks, Nanci


 
From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a cat," or, "that's a lot of money for just a cat."  They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a cat."
 
Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a cat." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a cat," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a cat," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a cat" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a cat," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."
"Just a cat" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a cat" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.
 
Because of "just a cat" I will rise early and look longingly to the future.
 
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a cat" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a cat" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they will understand that it's not "just a cat" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a person."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a cat," just smile, because they "just don't understand."

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've taken a fair amount of grief from people for having "so many cats".  Some people wonder why I "need" so many, and it's not that at all -- I have them because they need me.  They show up at the door, they get dumped at the vet, etc., and if I have room and the ability to care for them, of course they're welcome here.  I think I have a cleaner home than I would if I didn't have any cats, because they force me to keep that vacuum cleaner going all the time!

Of course, the big secret that very few "others" understand is how much the cats enrich my life.  During a stressful time during the holidays when I was bottle-feeding my foster kittens, I'd just have to go in and sit with them to feel the tension drain away.  I'd wake up in the morning and be excited to go see them.  Nothing makes my heart go pitter-pat like having my scarred and battered old tomcat curl up with me and night and purr, or to have one of the other cats come running to jump on my lap to watch TV.  I have great humans in my life who I love, and who love me, but the love from the cats always feels so uncomplicated and sincere.  They're never "just cats" -- their company is a gift.

Anonymous said...

I guess only cat people understand and we do have the compasion to care and love them the way no others would. I too keep the vacuum going and the floors mopped and it is never ending because now my fur babies are very old and have a lot of accidents. They keep my mind off my troubles to and sometimes add to them but when I look into there beautiful faces how can I be upset for too long? They need us as much as I need them and love them. They can never understand us. I like what you wrote about that they leave footprints on our hearts, I really do.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, people rarely give me the "just a cat" (or "just a dog" line).  Maybe I am too intimidating or maybe they think I'm just crazy anyway so why bother.  On the rare occasion I have heard the "just a cat" line, I've been quick to remind them that I wouldn't bother to come work if it weren't for the "just a cats" and "just a dogs."  I also remind them that of all the people I have known, they couldn't hope to live up to the unconditional love that "just a cat" or "just a dog" will give you.  Then, I finish it off by saying, "Maybe someday you can be as good, caring and understanding as my cat or dog.  You can only hope that you will be."  Typically, that finishes any conversations along those lines (do you wonder why?).

I have met many good people in my life.  I have friends I have known since grade school (one since the day we were born and we "met" in the hospital).  But, no matter how close I may be to my friends and family, we as humans always do one thing that pets do not - we judge each other.  Even your own children and your parents will eventually judge you, but your pet never will.  They don't care if you are black or white.  They don't care if you sit in a wheelchair or you have Turret's Syndrome.  They don't care if your hair is gray or even if it is falling out.  They don't care if you are overweight.  They don't care if you are straight or gay.  Pets are capable of something we can only dream of becoming - nonjudgemental.

So when someone says, "How could you pay that much for just a pet," you need to remind them that you could spend all of that money and never hope to be as good of a being as your pet.  That is why you will spend that much and more and why you will care that much and more for just a pet.  The cost of my pet bills for the past month - $2500.  The value of being humbled by beings so genuine they make my heart hurt for thinki