Wednesday, March 8, 2006

"Just A Dog"

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or,
"that's a lot of money for just a dog."  They don't understand the
distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for
"just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have
been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to
overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand
phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust,
and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of
all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past,
and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away
from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they will understand that it's not "just a dog" but
the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because
they "just don't understand."

---Versatile Hunting Dog Magazine, February 2006

Author: Richard Biby

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it beautifully~~those who say that...are just not as rich as we

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you. There are so many mornings when I just do not want to get out of bed because of my illnesses but when I think of my Papa dog and how he is just waiting for me to come feed him and love him I know I have to get up and go to him. He thanks me when I see him with his cute little dance he does when he sees me coming and he trys to speak, well in his own language of course but none the less he gives me joy along with my other furry critters, my 3 cats. Lucy, Mr. Foo and Snickers. So yes they are not just dogs or cats or what ever they may be they are inspirations to us all and bring much companionship, loyalty and love in our hearts and homes. Well said.