Monday, January 30, 2006

A Beautiful Poem and a Heartfelt Letter!

NO GREATER LOVE

 by: RogueThistle009

While writing the poem, the tears flow down
I'll tell you of fighting, on a foreign ground
Fritz, a soldier, made the supreme sacrifice
A soldier, who saved this worthless life
 
It has been 36 years, since this time, long ago
Fritz was smaller, than any soldier we had
Fritz was fearless, Fritz was really bad
Bullets started flying, Fritz got real mad
 
I was hot, the monsoons had started
Orders to patrol, we soon departed
An hour out of base camp, the fighting began
Why were we fighting, here in Vietnam
 
Incoming rockets, bullets whining overhead
Soon, most of my buddies, around lay dead
Hand to hand, bayonets, flashing of the blade
Fritz, threw himself, on a thrown grenade
 
As I write, a picture above my desk, of Fritz I see
If not for this soldier, I would have died you see
Duty, honor, loyalty, Fritz did not ask for much
He was there, to help in a clutch
 
 
(January 25, 2006)
(copyrighted)
 
This poem is dedicated to the bravest soldier I have ever known.  You see FRITZ was a military working dog. I was a Scout Dog handler. WE all should remember our four-legged soldiers. They asked for nil, they paid with their life.
 
My brother, FRITZ, I salute you!

RogueThistle009 and his dog, Fritz

Fritz wrote Larry a most heartfelt letter- this needed to be shared here.

"My best, most loving friend and handler Larry:
 
I know you're going to miss me but don't think for even one minute
that I will ever forget or stop loving you just cause I'm not around
in body anymore.  I will always be with you in Spirit!
 
I laid down my life to protect you as I'd been trained to do and would
do it all over again if that were possible.  Some day we will see each
other again.  I saw that beautiful poem you wrote about me, and the
Angel who has been helping me earn my 'Wings of Grace' said I could
send this letter to you so you'd know I'm okay.
 
When I first got here it was soo beautiful as all the animals who had
crossed before me lined both sides of the path with their candles lit
so I could see to cross.  I was taken on a tour of this beautiful place
and even as of today I still have not seen it all.
 
Please try not to be sad when you think of me.  Remember, my friend,
we both had a job to do.  I don't remember anything after I lay down
on that thing till I got here with the Angels that GOD sent to bring me home.
 
I must go now as there are many others waiting to write their last letter home.
 
With LOVE
From
 'FRITZ' "
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: