Monday, June 27, 2005

"I Stood Beside Your Bed Last Night"

                                    

I stood beside your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you so softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well. I'm fine. I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels. I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today. You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I am not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you. I smiled and said, "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning
And say."goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out.. then come home to be with me.

Author: Unknown

This magnificent poem has been added to our page in memory of Cyrus, beloved  angel companion to Eilene in Wisconsin. Michelle Crean, created this lovely picture for her. Permission has been granted to display the picture and accompanying text.

Visit them at : Cyrus' Tribute/The Rainbow Bridge

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How absolutely incredible.  I received the ashes of my most cherished little dog, Fritter, just this afternoon.  He died on Friday, July 15, 2005.  He was almost 17 years old and the light of my life.  It had been only the two of us for so many, many years.  We were connected at the heart.  i have told all who would listen that I could look into his sweet brown eyes and see God there.  My heart is breaking.  Oh how I needed to read something like this poem.  It gives me such joy to think that he is still here with me and can feel my love.  The pain of losing him has been almost more than I can bare.  Thank you from the bottom of the little piece of a heart I have left for making this poem available to those of us who have suffered such a great loss.  God bless you.

Judy McDaniel
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
judy@maxonpromotions.com

Anonymous said...

 Oh how I needed this.  I just lost my beloved and cherished Buddy on Friday the 22.  It's always just been him and me.  Every single day we were together, thru the worst and the best he has been my constant companion.  Just how am I going to get thru this I don't know.  It feels like my heart was taken from me the day that he died.  I miss coming home to him every day from work.  Even sitting here at the computer typing I miss giving him a scratch and a pat every now and then.  The house just doesn't feel like a home without him.  How I wish he was here.  There aren't any words to describe the lonliness and despair that I face every morning when I wake up and look to see that he's not there, usually under my feet.  I can only hope that he's happy and chasing the squirells where-ever he is.  Maybe someday I too can be happy again, I just don't know how or when that day will come.  I love you Buddy, I miss you, and if I could I would love to give you one last pet and a kiss good-bye.  Good-bye my friend.  Love always, Mom.    

Anonymous said...

To Mydogisgreat:
Your comments touched my heart deeply.

<<I can only hope that he's happy and chasing the squirells where-ever he is.  Maybe someday I too can be happy again, I just don't know how or when that day will come.  I love you Buddy, I miss you, and if I could I would love to give you one last pet and a kiss good-bye.  Good-bye my friend.  Love always, Mom.>>

What keeps my heart open is knowing somehow that they are happy and healthy again at the Bridge and are waiting for the time that we are reunited. He will be making new friends there, who will welcome him with open paws, and while our hearts weep, they do not want us to hurt so badly, I feel. When I lost my angel horse, Patti, I felt the world had come to an end, but what I was focusing on was what she gave me. A dear friend reminded me to also remember what I contributed to her life, and somehow the horrible, gripping and paralyzing pain lifted with his words.

While there is no timetable for grieving, just be kind to yourself and know that there are people in your life who care and who will support you, even those that you have not "met" in real life yet.

My heart goes out to you at this time,
OurBelovedAngels,
Jo

Anonymous said...


To judyfritter:

The love that you shared with your beloved Fritter shines through. The comments that you made were so beautifully written, and also touched my heart deeply.

<<I received the ashes of my most cherished little dog, Fritter, just this afternoon.  He died on Friday, July 15, 2005.  He was almost 17 years old and the light of my life.  It had been only the two of us for so many, many years.  We were connected at the heart.  i have told all who would listen that I could look into his sweet brown eyes and see God there.  My heart is breaking.  Oh how I needed to read something like this poem.>>

This poem was found while researching for support for people who are grieving over the loss of their beloved angel pets. I know that they will be of comfort to folks who visit this journal and who need support, maybe not knowing that grief is a part of the deep love that we have for our pets. They are not just "animals", but are an integral part of our family. They give much to us, and we in return give them the love and care that they thrive on.

A good friend once shared with me, that when we open to love, we open to loss at the precisely same moment. Loss and love go hand in hand, but the biggest loss is never to have had that love, or never to enter our hearts again. Much healing and peace to you, Judy. You are loved.

Jo