Tuesday, August 2, 2005

In Memory Of Clifton: For Donna

                               
Clifton was a special kitty I found on a run with my personal trainer on Labor Day, 1995.  I'd just separated from my husband of 28 years, on my way to divorce. :(.  I looked for a kitten, but none were to be found.  I'd moved in my new place with Dew and JJ, older kits, and Pirate, only 1.  I thought Pi needed a playmate.   No one had a kitten...
 
Then, I went running in downtown Cincinnati on Labor Day. As my trainer and I waited to cross a 5 lane highway, I heard him say "no kitty...no!" as Cliff tried to get to us.  Traffic cleared, and a kind gentleman on the corner kept Clift busy.  I picked him up... tiny kitty of grey and white.  (The grey turned out to be dirt...he was solid white.) Blistered feet, broken tail.   He purred.  I started running.  My trainer says "Where you goin' wiff dat cat?"  My reply?  "Home!"  Michael (on a bike) took the kitten from me.  Cliff licked sweat from his chest for the 2 miles plus home.  When when we got there, I took him back, and he slept on my lap for the 20 mile drive home.  He was dirty, flea bitten, and scared. 
 
I took him to the vet, he checked out fine.  He was JUST what I needed.  Over the next 5 years, he turned into the smartest cat I have ever owned.  He turned my touchlamp ON when he wanted  fed. (On High...every time.)  He turned that same light OFF in this very room when I tried to read instead of pet him.  He learned to lean on the bathroom door and let it clang against the bookcase on weekends when he thought I'd slept too late.
 
He begged, and he waved... as you can see in the picture here.
 
Alas, one January,2000 morning, he came to the door to tell me goodbye.  Little did I know how seriously he meant it.  When I returned home around noon, I found Cliff dead in this very room.  I lost it...Totally lost it.  I knelt by his body, petting him.  I called my vet, my daughter my son in law.  It was January, no way could we bury him here...the ground was too frozen.
 
As I knelt beside him, the words "His job with you was done" kept going through my head..,, and I realized he was right.  I'd found Cliff when I was sure I couldn't survive on my own.  Cliff somehow made my days more liveable, and now I knew I would be okay.
 
He died on a Friday.  My son in law took his body to the vet's to await my 'final decisions.'
 
I cried the entire weekend.  On Monday, Wheezel sat on the end table where Cliffy did, at 3:30 AM, just like he did, threatening to turn on the light.  You need to know that she had never seen him do this!  I told her No Wheezy, NO!
 
She didn't.  Until that Wednesday.  Then, at 3:30 AM she turned on the light, and sat and stared deep  into my eyes before she leapt from the table.  I knew RIGHT THEN that Cliffy wasn't really gone.
 
The day he died, Wheez did three (count them... 3) tricks that no one but Cliff has ever done.  And she hasn't done them since.  I KNEW he was here with me.  To this day, when Wheezy turns on that light for me, I laugh in my sleep and say "Hi Cliffy Boy!"  He's NOT gone.  He's an angel baby that will be with me forever.
 
I Love you Cliffy!
 
MommyPerson.


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.   I lost my George about 11 years ago and it still hurts.