Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Involvement With Barbaro and A Remarkable Video

I have been wondering why I am so consumed with Barbaro, and how I think of him daily, sending prayers,  looking for updates, and how my heart soars when I read good news about this incredible thoroughbred. I have never been involved in the sport of racing. I was, however, very active with pleasure riding, some showing and volunteering in the Therapeutic Riding for the Handicapped program.In fact, I presented my master's thesis to complete my Social Work degree using my experience in the program and extensive research on the subject.

So I have been really asking myself why I am so consumed (and it feels like that for me) with Barbaro. It finally "hit me" this morning. I am still grieving for the loss of my beloved horse, Pat De Foi ( Patti), who died while seven months pregnant. She would have had a filly, sired by a former Race Horse, Jolly Thief. He was a really sweet, dynamic and statuesque stallion. Our filly would have been a spectacular dabbled bay.

Patty was a registered Quarter Horse, Liver Chestnut, mare. The snip on her nose resembled the map of Africa. Barbaro has an almost identical snip on his nose. 

Many years ago I wrote an article about the loss of a beloved companion horse, and its impact on us, which was published in the CHRONICLE OF THE HORSE. You can read it and see her picture here: GOODBYE TO PATTI

Grieving the loss of a beloved horse for so many years, may seem strange to some folks, but she touched me so deeply and filled me with so much love and admiration. She not only was a wonderful pleasure horse, but she eagerly contributed to the Therapeutic program as her temperament and easy going ways made her a natural. Many children adored her. She was easy to love.. everyone did

But my love for Barbaro and my admiration for his courage, is certainly not odd, nor am I alone. This horse has become a symbol of courage, beauty, bravery and heart. But what I identify the most with, is the love that his owners, trainer, Veterinarians and staff feel for him.

So this video really touched me and I just wanted to share it with my readers, and also to explain why this journal has been devoted to Barbaro and his journey toward healing. Grief comes in many forms and can last a lifetime. It is only by sharing it with others that ultimately we can heal and allow the love to remain inour hearts without the pain of the loss.

BEAUTIFUL BARBARO

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Beloved Sissy)))  BTDT, still reeling 7 years after the loss of Lil San and 11 years after the loss of Sandi, but lost a mare who was in foal in '91, so I understand your grief.  It never goes away, so we live with it and think of the good times.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved horse, I think when you love something that much you never really stop thinking and grieving. Animanls become such a big part of our lives. I'm happy that you found a horse you love again.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am so interested in your journal, and I have suffered the loss of a horse who was my best friend.Poor Patti, and for your loss of her and her unborn foal. We never get over death, we accept it but we grieve.One of my horses is Quarter horse/arab, her name is really Delta lady, but we have always called her cheeky, because she is.. also, she is liver chestnut like Patti. When she gave birth to Bolero, thought we were going to lose her,and my partner had to intervene as the vet was late.He is a big boy now but I never weaned him from his mum.
Will watch the video and keep your journal on my alerts and fav. places.
Rach.xx